Scrumhalf Questions - Communication
Communication Questions
Here's the original question:
"2. Coordination/communication between backs and forwards, for example the communication of calls. Do the backs know when a backrow play or peel is called? Do the forwards know where the backline strike will occur?"
My Suggestions on Communication:
Yes, the backs should definitely know when a backrow play or peel is called because it means that they'll have to adjust their spacing and their plays. This should be part of the discussion between the #9 and #10 before the set piece. The discussion could sound like this:
SH: I think we could use a backrow play here
FH: Ok, which direction are you going?
SH: Going to the right of our scrum
FH: Can you send us the ball on second phase so we can attack wide?
SH: Assuming the fwds clear that channel quickly enough, sure.
OR....................
FH: I want the ball from this scrum to run a back play
SH: But with our position on the field, I think a backrow play would be successful. Our #8 and flankers have been dominating their opposition and we have a pretty big weak side. Plus I'd like to get it to the weak-side wing.
FH: Ok, but on the next set piece let's get it to our backs.
I realize this is a bit of a hokey dramatization and unrealistic - I mean, how often is a FH so accomodating ?!? :) But honestly, this conversation should be communicated by way of a specific call (backrow plays and peels and drives off the line-out) and should be done in a matter of a few seconds.
SH and FH should check in with each other before every set piece. It doesn't matter too much who originates the play suggestion, but I find that the backs will typically want the ball as much as possible so the SH should always suggest possible fwds ball. On some teams, the #8 will suggest a backrow play to either the SH or the FH, but it all depends on the level of experience of each of the 3 players and how that team likes to communicate. Typically, the way we work on the NY team is that the SH will suggest a play to the FH and the FH will either agree or use her "veto power".
Now onto the last question - do the fwds know who/where the strike runner will be? At the US level, we do indicate this information while at most club level teams, this is not passed on to the fwds. I think this is important information, especially for the loose fwds, but because the FH is calling the backs play as the scrum is about to engage, it's difficult to convey strikerunner information to the loosies in time. The SH + FH check-in should happen as early as possible to give everyone time to digest the information a bit. Just keep in mind, for unexperienced packs beware of information overload.
I hope these suggestions are helpful. I'd love to hear some feedback if you can leave a comment. This might be too painfully detailed for non-SHs but I think it's important to build our collective SH knowledge as much as possible. If you have any other rugby or SH questions, contact me at leeknight@gmail.com
Here's the original question:
"2. Coordination/communication between backs and forwards, for example the communication of calls. Do the backs know when a backrow play or peel is called? Do the forwards know where the backline strike will occur?"
My Suggestions on Communication:
Yes, the backs should definitely know when a backrow play or peel is called because it means that they'll have to adjust their spacing and their plays. This should be part of the discussion between the #9 and #10 before the set piece. The discussion could sound like this:
SH: I think we could use a backrow play here
FH: Ok, which direction are you going?
SH: Going to the right of our scrum
FH: Can you send us the ball on second phase so we can attack wide?
SH: Assuming the fwds clear that channel quickly enough, sure.
OR....................
FH: I want the ball from this scrum to run a back play
SH: But with our position on the field, I think a backrow play would be successful. Our #8 and flankers have been dominating their opposition and we have a pretty big weak side. Plus I'd like to get it to the weak-side wing.
FH: Ok, but on the next set piece let's get it to our backs.
I realize this is a bit of a hokey dramatization and unrealistic - I mean, how often is a FH so accomodating ?!? :) But honestly, this conversation should be communicated by way of a specific call (backrow plays and peels and drives off the line-out) and should be done in a matter of a few seconds.
SH and FH should check in with each other before every set piece. It doesn't matter too much who originates the play suggestion, but I find that the backs will typically want the ball as much as possible so the SH should always suggest possible fwds ball. On some teams, the #8 will suggest a backrow play to either the SH or the FH, but it all depends on the level of experience of each of the 3 players and how that team likes to communicate. Typically, the way we work on the NY team is that the SH will suggest a play to the FH and the FH will either agree or use her "veto power".
Now onto the last question - do the fwds know who/where the strike runner will be? At the US level, we do indicate this information while at most club level teams, this is not passed on to the fwds. I think this is important information, especially for the loose fwds, but because the FH is calling the backs play as the scrum is about to engage, it's difficult to convey strikerunner information to the loosies in time. The SH + FH check-in should happen as early as possible to give everyone time to digest the information a bit. Just keep in mind, for unexperienced packs beware of information overload.
I hope these suggestions are helpful. I'd love to hear some feedback if you can leave a comment. This might be too painfully detailed for non-SHs but I think it's important to build our collective SH knowledge as much as possible. If you have any other rugby or SH questions, contact me at leeknight@gmail.com

2 Comments:
Great post! I have a question about communication for you: Do you encourage your forwards to make their own decision to pick up the ball when a scrum/ruck is getting frustrating or do you tell them to wait for you to make that decision?
I agree with your sometimes the #8 calls...however, maybe I am an overcontrolling 8 but I like to always make the call and then get vetoed. I feel like at #8 you have the best sense of are we getting wheeled or wheeling, are we on turf and the ball is flying through at a million miles an hour, can the hooker hook to channel 2, are the opposing flankers cheating or slow, etc...
Post a Comment
<< Home