Monday, March 20, 2006

Scrumhalf Questions from a Collegiate Player

Scrumhalf Questions

I recently received an email from a scrumhalf who is still in college and has played with NY over the summer in our 7's program. We've had some quality discussions in the past and she sent me an email with a few questions that I thought were great to share with my loyal blog readers :)

"hey lee,
well, now that you mention it, yes, i did have a question. my coach gave me feedback from last season recently and i thought it was great feedback. here are two of the things she mentioned that are important skills for a SH:

'1. Assessing the strengths and vulnerabilities of the other team with regard to our team. Can we kill them in the scrums or LOs -- or not? What do we do in either case? Where is the space to attack? Are we making the gainline? How? How many phases are in your mind (1-2-3) when putting the ball in a scrum of calling a lineout?

2. Coordination/communication between backs and forwards, for example the communication of calls. Do the backs know when a backrow play or peel is called?
Do the forwards know where the backline strike willoccur?

I've talked with my coach bit about this, and my flyhalf got similar feedback about communication, so she and I sat down as well anddiscussed that, but I also wanted your opinion. Here are my questions then:

a. What are the ways that you work on improving #1? Watching rugby?Going over/visualizing situation off the pitch?

b. My flyhalf and I get along/work together really really well, but the problem with communication is that off of set plays, the fowards don't always know where the backs are going to strike, the backs don't always know what fowards play is on, etc. Are there things that you and your flyhalf always make it a point to communicate off of set plays? Is achieving good communication simply a matter of being disciplined about it?

c. Any other advice given the above feedback? Again, I tend to find that I can read plays pretty well, so off of rucks and stuff I'm pretty good. But off of lineouts and scrums my biggest problem is making a call based on what has previously happened in the game (e.g., the other team's strengths and weaknesses, as well as ours.)"

WOW! When she sent me this email, I was really impressed that someone at the collegiate level was asking these questions! I have to admit (and I'm a little embarassed about it) that I didn't really start thinking about this stuff until I started playing with NY 3.5 years ago. I'm really excited to hear that there are strong college coaches out there pushing their players to think more strategically and asking them to think about the game with a more critical eye.

In the next few posts, I will answer these questions from my perspective. That being said, my responses will be based on my experience and what I've learned from several coaches. Overall, I am a firm believer in doing what works for you and your situation because rugby, like life, is all about playing what's in front of you. So tune in next time to see some of my suggestions!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking forward to you answers!! i have asked similar questions of my coach but it is always interesting to get feedback from as many sources as possible. i play flyhalf mainly but have just been selected as a selectside scrumhalf. going to have to dust off my brain a bit....

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home