Sunday, March 12, 2006

Decisions That Shape Your Life (Part I - Micro)

It's been a long day and as you're leaving work, you think to yourself, "I know I should go to the gym, but I'm tired/it's raining/I haven't seen so-and-so for a long time/the OC is on/". For me, as I get into my car after work, I have to do the mandatory "JUST GET THERE" motivational pep-talk. Working out on your own is really a challenge, but a lot easier when you establish a routine. My brother Eric just recently started working out again and as the wise sister that I am, I gave him the key to gym success - Find a gym that is on the way home and go immediately after work. If you go home first, you'll never go. If find that to be 100% true. Sometimes I like to fool myself by saying "I'll go home, change, and go for a run around the neighborhood." We all know that's a recipe for wimping out...

But seriously, if you take all those days that you didn't work out over the course of a few weeks, you realize that you've become a slacker. The only difference between you-as-a-slacker and you-as-a-fitness-maven is the number of times you made it to the gym. Each day is an opportunity to chose between being a slacker or a fitness maven. The consequences of not going to the gym on one occasion won't kill you, but if you add it all up it begins to tell the story of who you are.

Personally, when I leave the company parking lot and approach the critical juncture where if I make a left, I'm headed home but if I make a right, I'll get to the gym, I usually chant "Just get there" to overcome inertia and get myself to work out. My friend Paco's mantra is very similar "just show up...stick with it...don't sweat it". I find that once I get to the gym, I go into autopilot and get my workout done no problem. I leave feeling energized and glad that I got a good sweat in! It's always worth it.

The daily decision of going to the gym is so important when you think about it over the course of a few weeks. It can make the difference between having an awesome 80 minute game or struggling to get to the breakdown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home