Saturday, September 09, 2006

Day 16 - Day Off, My Entourage, Elk Island, Hotel Sweet Hotel

Today was a day of rest and we needed it.  There were several different groups that departed for different activities.  Some went to the Edmonton Mall, some to the movies, and some of us went to Elk Island (I went with my family).  Yesterday's game feels a healthy distance away and it was great to clear our minds of rugby for a short while.
 
My mom and dad have been here since Sunday, but the rest of my entourage (Eric, Evan, Rob, Aunt Dee Dee, and Mike Hunter) flew in on Thursday night (Sept 7) and leave tomorrow (Sunday).  They really just came to watch our game against Australia and cheer like they were in the World Cup of Cheering.  The Knights have a reputation for their fearless cheering and yesterday was no exception.  Their ability to galvanize the crowd made me proud.  After the whistle blew for the end of the game, the entire US team went to both sidelines to cheer for our fans.  We really didn't think there would be so many fans for the middle portion of the tournament, but it's amazing how much love and support we have from all across the country.

I was thankful to have a day off so I could spend some QT (quality time) with them.  The 8 of us crammed into a 7 passenger minivan and drove the 45 minutes to Elk Island.  It was fun to be with everyone, especially Dee Dee (who is essentially an older version of me) and Mike (my dad's high school friend) who we haven't seen in a long time.  We saw some hawks, bison, and then a moose (elk? what's the difference?) with huge antlers.  It was just chillin' in a shady grove, lying down, and I think its velvet was molting.  Dee Dee kept saying "Wow, look at the size of that rack" and I couldn't help but snicker.  We decided that driving around with the minivan side door open was the best way to travel (almost like a helicopter, but on land!) because you felt like you were in nature without having to walk around too much. 

We were hungry and stopped at a diner in Lamont, Canada, just north of Elk Island (which is a misnomer, btw, because it's not really an island).  Lunch was great and we started getting sleepy.  There was a brief stop at Fort Saskatchewan, which was nothing but a small town with some sheep grazing in the park.  Rob and I took a short nap while the fam walked around.  We headed straight back to the hotel for an hour-long refresher.  We got back together and went to old town Edmonton, near the University of Alberta, and sat outside (under the largest table umbrella I've ever seen!) for a nice Italian dinner.  Evan, Dee Dee and Mike leave tomorrow morning and I think I might try to sneak out of breakfast to meet them. 

We said our family goodbyes in the hotel lobby and as the door opened onto the 5th floor (where we're staying), it was like coming home - familiar territory, familiar faces, looking at tomorrow's schedule at KTP's door.  I felt like I'd been away for so long, but I guess after being in close quarters with them for 15 days and then not seeing them for 12 hours feels like an eternity.  Even coming back to this hotel room and my desk with my computer feels strangely comfortable.  I think I can only appreciate it because I was able to leave the hotel...if I had to spend today cooped up at the hotel, I probably would have gone bonkers.  Thank goodness for the day off!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home