Day 8 - Analysis, Recovery, Free Time, Video
Nothing much to report today...the day after a game is pretty low-key. In the morning, those who played yesterday had a pool recovery session with Tracy (one of our strength and conditioning coaches). The rest of us went to a nearby gym to get in a real workout. As I was on the elliptical machine, one of the TVs was showing highlights of the game on some channel that is probably the Canadian version of ESPN. Although it was short, they showed the highlights of the New Zealand vs. Canada match. I thought it was cool to be in a gym, working out with normal people, and watching the event we're competing in on TV. It made me feel a little special, especially when one of the ladies in the locker room asked if we were the ones on TV.
Just before lunch, we met for an hour to discuss our game against England and "decompress". We talked about how we did against our goals and game plan for the match.
After lunch, we had 3 hrs of free time. Small groups broke off to do their own thing with their families or friends, some did laundry, some went to the Edmonton Mall (largest mall in North America), some stayed at the hotel. I chatted with Rob online for a while and by the time I realized that I had to get outside before going stir-crazy, we only had 1 hr until our next meeting. Since there's nothing in walking distance and the area around us is mostly a strip mall (except for the Labatt's brewery across the street!), I spent the rest of my time reading in the parking lot (not very pleasant because we're at the intersection of 2 major streets). But I found out about a park/trail area near the Saskatchewan River about 15 min away for the next time we have free time.
At 4:30pm, we had another meeting to analyze the video of yesterday's match, with some commentary from the coaches. We did some things well and there are things we need to work on, but we talked through it all and can now put it behind us. We had dinner (I ate the cheesecake as my appetizer since the line for the pork and potatoes was so long).
After dinner, we had another video session and some people are getting treated by Doctor Bartoli or Sarah Percy (our amazing staff that keeps us healthy and functioning). Now off to bed!
Just before lunch, we met for an hour to discuss our game against England and "decompress". We talked about how we did against our goals and game plan for the match.
After lunch, we had 3 hrs of free time. Small groups broke off to do their own thing with their families or friends, some did laundry, some went to the Edmonton Mall (largest mall in North America), some stayed at the hotel. I chatted with Rob online for a while and by the time I realized that I had to get outside before going stir-crazy, we only had 1 hr until our next meeting. Since there's nothing in walking distance and the area around us is mostly a strip mall (except for the Labatt's brewery across the street!), I spent the rest of my time reading in the parking lot (not very pleasant because we're at the intersection of 2 major streets). But I found out about a park/trail area near the Saskatchewan River about 15 min away for the next time we have free time.
At 4:30pm, we had another meeting to analyze the video of yesterday's match, with some commentary from the coaches. We did some things well and there are things we need to work on, but we talked through it all and can now put it behind us. We had dinner (I ate the cheesecake as my appetizer since the line for the pork and potatoes was so long).
After dinner, we had another video session and some people are getting treated by Doctor Bartoli or Sarah Percy (our amazing staff that keeps us healthy and functioning). Now off to bed!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home