Hosting Players from Out of Town
This email was created by some of our NYRC players and sent out to provide some guidelines on hosting. The tone of the email is great and I want to thank Stephanie Paddock for writing in as Confused Suzie Homemaker, Lisa Lake for the response from Miss Manners, and Annie Collier for the original idea.
I thought it would be good to share to general population because it is probably the first time I've seen the well-understood but rarely-articulated expectations for being a good host. Some of the guidelines are NYC specific, but it is useful nonetheless!
I thought it would be good to share to general population because it is probably the first time I've seen the well-understood but rarely-articulated expectations for being a good host. Some of the guidelines are NYC specific, but it is useful nonetheless!
Dear Miss Manners,
I'm writing to you with a major problem. See, I have these two girls coming to stay with me this weekend. They are rugby players coming to play against my rugby team on Saturday. Even though they are my opponents, I'm supposed to bring them into my home and "take care of them". I don't really know what I should do. I want to pummel them on the field on Saturday, but need to befriend them when they arrive Friday night. How should I go about making them feel welcome in my home? Please help!
Thanks for your advice!
Sincerely,
Confused Suzie Homemaker
Gentle Reader,
What a pickle you're in. Both competition and fellowship are key parts of our rugby community and sometimes it's hard for both of those elements to be in harmony. The rule of thumb is to represent the club well both on and off the field. Here are some helpful hosting tips to make your weekend a little more enjoyable for yourself and your guests.
- Communication is a must. Contact your guests a day or two prior to their arrival to finalize your airport pickup and dropoff details. Flying into New York City can be daunting even for experienced world travelers. A welcoming phone call will set the tone for a enjoyable weekend for all.
- Prepare the sleeping spaces ahead of time. Know where you want your guests to sleep and make sure that your linens and towels are ready to go.
- Stock up on breakfast foods for your guests. You will be leaving early for a long day at the pitch and a good host is ready to put on a presentable feed. Having two or three breakfast options available for your guests is always a good idea. Any of the following are good ideas: cereal, fruit, eggs, pancakes, powerbars, coffee, juice, or oatmeal. If you are uncomfortable cooking or you do not have the space to cook then you should have a couple of options for local eateries ready. Additionally, some folks like to prepare a little snack bag for their guests to take to the pitch. This is above and beyond the call of duty but generally appreciated by the travelers. If you decide to go this route you might want to include power bars, gatorade, and some fruit.
- Know what time your guests have to be at the pitch on Saturday and make sure they arrive on time.
- Be prepared to advise your guests on how to navigate NYC on their own. Chances are your guests may want to tour NYC either Saturday night or Sunday. If they express a desire to do so be helpful in advising them on how to get about the city or offer up some ideas on interesting destinations. You do not have to go out of your way to show them the city. At that point, they are on their own.
Sincerely,
Miss Manners

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home