Monday, May 22, 2006

Forward Support for the SH

This is a question I had about needing a bit more forward support at a breakdown...Depending on the team, often times fwds are encouraged to be support runners for the back line.  Recently I've been feeling a bit alone at the breakdown *sigh, melodrama* and when I turn around to look for some fwd help to win a ruck or a maul, they're far away with the backs. 
So I asked a fellow SH and our part-time backs coach John McGeachy (SH for Old Blue who just beat SF GG in the super league semi-finals) for some advice.  Here's the question and the response.  I took out some sensitive info in his email in case his super league competitors are reading this ;)

Hey John,
I had a quick question for you - as I'm trying to attack more and capitalize more on the gaps near the breakdown, I find that I often don't have much support near the breakdown because our extra fwds line up behind the FH.  This puts them pretty far from the breakdown and if I see a hole and take it, I'm a bit afraid that they won't get there in time.  Do you hope that the people in the current breakdown get out quickly to support you? 

Also, if I need more fwds to win the ruck/create a solid platform or drive the maul I feel like I have to call them from behind the FH which seems like it takes a long time.  Should I ask for 1 fwd to stay in my "pocket" in case I need them?  What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the advice,
Lee
__________________________

Hey Lee,

The answer is to try and always have a forward (generally the hooker) in your pocket, who can support any forward runs off of the fly half or any breaks the Scrum Half may make from the base. In addition, having a forward in your pocket is key to help dig a ball out or even secure the ball in a ruck.


The other person that you can use (depending on where you are on the field) is the wing. If you look to make a break down the short side, then your wing should always be the 1st in support. However, this is can only be achieved efficitevely with communication, and it doesn't have to be verbal. For instance, when I make breaks from the base of the scrum or a ruck/maul then I will ___<omitted>__ to let the wing or forward (who is behind me) know where I am going. Same with a kick, everytime you want to do a box kick, you do a quick sign or motion.  Just a little signal is enough to let the people around you know what you are doing, so as to better place them to support more proactively and not reactively.

I hope that helps.
Cheers,

John

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I was just curious if he meant that the hooker should be able to run in from behind the fly and help the scrummie secure a ruck or maul(or pick and go if she gets to involved)? Or did he mean a different forward. Just cause that can get a little hairy trying to slot into a ruck if the scrum-half is already there, just cause they are there digging right in front of the gates. If the scrummie doesn't move or shift out of the way it's sort of difficult not to get coming in from the side called. It's kind of funny cause for the most part I already do what he suggests 'cause I'll often camp behind my fly-half's ass so I'm able to follow breaks by the pack or take a pop pass from my fly (heh scored 3 out of my 4 trys that way) Oh and the best way to get support as a scrummie is to feed your front row! Yep loyalty for life. Or ykno...beer works too =]

-Kerrie
#2 for UC Santa Cruz

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home