Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Vitamins, Supplements, and Diet - Oh My!

With all this training, it's important to stay healthy!

Some of my other teammates know a lot more about vitamins and supplements, but here's what I take:

Vitamins - MultiVitamin, Calcium + Magnesium (2 a day), Glucosamine + Chondroitin (2 a day).
After games, when my immune system is way down, I have an EmergenC right after playing. I used to get a 1-2 day cold after playing in big games until I started taking it and now it doesn't seem to happen as much. I am also a HUGE fan of Airborne and take it everytime I fly, if I went out for drinks, and even the slightest hint of an itchy throat. If anyone around me is sick, I keep it at the ready and am very willing to share.

Supplements - I just started with Endurox recovery drink for after workouts and Muscle Milk for breakfast or before a workout. I used to drink the chocolate protein shakes (+ banana) for dinner last year, but don't have a blender and stirring/shaking it just doesn't cut it :)

Diet - replaced milk with soy milk and eat 2 hard boiled egg whites every day (both for added protein). Wheat instead of white, reduced my caffeine intake, and drinking tea instead of coffee (although Starbucks is my guilty pleasure!). I now bring my lunch to work most days, which means I'm not at the mercy of whatever food is convenient. I typically pack yogurt, 2 PBJs, carrots, HB eggs, fruit and trail mix. I know I'm not the pinnacle of healthy eating (admittedly, I eat cereal for dinner a lot), but I've been working on it.


What does everyone else take? Any dietary tips?
I'd be curious to know...leave a comment!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also consider a Vitamin B complex(which includes Folic). Often its sold w/Vitamin C as a convenient combo. Early morn is said to be the best time.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home