Day 20 - High School Drills, Photos, Free Time
Everyone was bleary-eyed at breakfast this morning and jumped into vans to go to 2 separate high schools in the area to make an appearance during their gym class and run some rugby drills. Despite our high school (Bellerose HS) being quite a van ride away, we all had a great time interacting with the kids. It's amazing that these kids had heard of rugby (they even have a high school team) and one girl even showed up in rugby shorts, cleats, and a Churchill cup shirt.
After warming up with the Auckland Square (4 corners), Claudia and I were the scrumhalf station where we taught the kids to spin pass. Most of the kids were easy to work with and many of the guys got it relatively quickly. There were a few girls who already knew how to spin pass and we were quite impressed at their rugby ability overall.
A lot of us have been reading a lot while on tour, especially during long van rides. I'm currently reading "To Kill A Mockingbird", given to me by Shouse, one of our managers, because one of my nicknames from a NYRC tour was Scout (from the book) and she found it very fitting and is now the only one who still calls me that. During the first week of tour, Ashley set up a "USA Library" where we listed all the books we had and people could sign up to read it next. It's a bit nerdy, but a nice way to share the books we've brought. Dude is an especially avid reader and has probably already read several large books since we've been here.
After lunch, many of us took a nap (as expected). At 3pm, half of the team took a van ride to a spot near the river for a Jen Doan photoshoot. We were all wearing black tank tops and she took portraits of us with trees and nature behind us. She didn't mention what it was for, but the second group does it tomorrow.
Once we got back, Rob and I went walking in search of food. We found Montanas, an all-you-can-eat rib place, and ate until we were stuffed. I hurried back in time for my 7pm massage appointment with some local masseurs who were set up in doc's treatment room. I had him work on my lower back and quads, since those have been a bit tight. It was a 30min massage for $20 Canadian, which was a bargain. I wish they could come more often!
After that, Rob and I went to the pool downstairs and got to spend some quality time together in the evening. It's been great having him here, especially towards the end of the tour when we have some extra days off. Had he been here in the beginning, I probably would never have seen him. The team has off the entire day tomorrow and for lack of a more exciting activity, Rob and I might just go to the Mall of Edmonton and walk around.
After warming up with the Auckland Square (4 corners), Claudia and I were the scrumhalf station where we taught the kids to spin pass. Most of the kids were easy to work with and many of the guys got it relatively quickly. There were a few girls who already knew how to spin pass and we were quite impressed at their rugby ability overall.
A lot of us have been reading a lot while on tour, especially during long van rides. I'm currently reading "To Kill A Mockingbird", given to me by Shouse, one of our managers, because one of my nicknames from a NYRC tour was Scout (from the book) and she found it very fitting and is now the only one who still calls me that. During the first week of tour, Ashley set up a "USA Library" where we listed all the books we had and people could sign up to read it next. It's a bit nerdy, but a nice way to share the books we've brought. Dude is an especially avid reader and has probably already read several large books since we've been here.
After lunch, many of us took a nap (as expected). At 3pm, half of the team took a van ride to a spot near the river for a Jen Doan photoshoot. We were all wearing black tank tops and she took portraits of us with trees and nature behind us. She didn't mention what it was for, but the second group does it tomorrow.
Once we got back, Rob and I went walking in search of food. We found Montanas, an all-you-can-eat rib place, and ate until we were stuffed. I hurried back in time for my 7pm massage appointment with some local masseurs who were set up in doc's treatment room. I had him work on my lower back and quads, since those have been a bit tight. It was a 30min massage for $20 Canadian, which was a bargain. I wish they could come more often!
After that, Rob and I went to the pool downstairs and got to spend some quality time together in the evening. It's been great having him here, especially towards the end of the tour when we have some extra days off. Had he been here in the beginning, I probably would never have seen him. The team has off the entire day tomorrow and for lack of a more exciting activity, Rob and I might just go to the Mall of Edmonton and walk around.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home